One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A garment, especially a sweater or jacket, put on over the head and covering the top half of the body.
- ‘Choose pullovers with a small V-neck that draw the eye down, rather than a round neck, which creates a broader shoulder line.’
- ‘Knitting pullovers for the family is old hat for Mary Johnstone.’
- ‘With winter at its peak, the sari can be teamed even with woollen blouses and pullovers.’
- ‘All the clothing vendors rapidly sold out of sweatshirts, fleece pullovers and other warm gear.’
- ‘Despite his devout Muslim beliefs, he did not wear traditional clothes, preferring instead denim jeans and pullovers in order to merge with the bustling background.’
- ‘Everyone around is wearing colourful sweaters, cardigans and pullovers.’
- ‘From crew to V-necks and turtlenecks, any of these pullovers are sure to help you keep warm and look great, whether with a pair of tweed pants or jeans.’
- ‘Its new girls' wear range for spring features lots of floral prints on dresses and capris as well as bold stripes on sweaters and fleece pullovers.’
- ‘Instead of their blouses they're wearing thick polo neck pullovers… instead of the mini skirts, trousers of course, and to finish the look, huge heavy work boots.’
- ‘But in reality, knitwear is so much more than that - it includes a wide array of pullovers, turtlenecks and cardigans, among other items.’
- ‘So, head straight for sweaters, pullovers, and shawls.’
- ‘This season, chunky pullovers and zip or wrap cardigans with classic snowflake or reindeer motifs are sure to warm the hearts of even the burliest men.’
- ‘Not to spook you or anything, but your cashmere hoodies and wool pullovers could be premiering in their own little horror flick as we speak.’
- ‘Nor will it be available to anyone on the extreme fringes of environmentalism who lives in a hut in the woods with a wind-up generator and knits pullovers from vegetable peelings.’
- ‘Rather than waste suitcase space on wrinkle-resistant items like pullovers or sweatshirts, use the travel case.’
- ‘Old-school styling is revamped - prints in a frayed vintage typography, combinations featuring short sleeves over long sleeved garments and hooded pullovers are part of this style.’
- ‘Now, you just cannot stand the sight of those woollen pullovers, the windcheaters.’
- ‘My mother-in-law knitted me pullovers, which went right up to the neck.’
- ‘For the rest of us, cardigans and pullovers should do unless a blazer or suit is demanded by the occasion.’
- ‘I saw tables where there used to be desks, funky sweatshirts instead of grey pullovers, and a class full of smiling schoolchildren learning about Mondrian on laptops.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.