Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A commercial city in southeastern Washington State, on the Palouse River, home to Washington State University; population 26,920 (est. 2008)
1[usually as modifier] A railroad car affording special comfort, especially one with sleeping berths.‘a train of Pullman cars’
carriage, wagon, compartment, van, pullmanView synonyms
- ‘Converted from five antique Pullman rail carriages, The Sidings Hotel and Restaurant cuts a distinctive figure on the edge of the East Coast Main Line.’
- ‘The dining car waiters and Pullman porters knew it too, and they faked their Uncle Tomming to get bigger tips.’
- ‘The boat trains and beautiful Pullman carriages are now replaced by the Eurostar.’
- ‘Rather than lounging in Pullman cars and well-appointed railroad hotels, these new tourists embraced outdoor recreation and sought adventurous experiences.’
- ‘As part of that new expansion, the railroad was building a new depot at White Sulphur Springs and also rearranging the set-out tracks for Pullman cars there.’
- 1.1 A train consisting of Pullman cars.
- ‘Gner says that extra first-class capacity was needed on the 7.20 am service from Leeds so a 225 Pullman was introduced, but the train is unable to run on the Airedale line.’
- ‘Only a council of a town founded on the locomotive industry could be so loco as to even think about pulling the Pullman service!’
- 1.2pullmanNorth American A large suitcase designed to fit under the seat in a Pullman car.
- ‘The 28" Two Compartment Pullman Suitcase is the perfect fit for any frequent traveler.’
- ‘Still, at 10 cubic feet in size, the trunk will haul four 26-inch Pullman suitcases or a baby stroller.’
Mid 19th century: named after George M. Pullman (1831–97), its American designer.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.