One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A block or casing in which one or more pulleys are mounted.
- ‘At sea, this would be connected by ropes across the deck through pulley blocks to a drum behind the ship's steering wheel.’
- ‘Further on huge pulley blocks that had snapped off during the sinking lay scattered amongst other debris.’
- ‘The first factory to use steam engines was in Portsmouth Dock Yard for the making of pulley blocks for sailing ships.’
- ‘A solitary pulley block lies encrusted against the steel deck.’
- ‘The pulley block had not been invented at this time and the Vikings used a curious devices called ‘Virgins', ‘Angels' or ‘Maidens'.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.