One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cord that operates a mechanism when pulled.
- ‘The judge decided the bike was not actually a normal motor vehicle, as it was impossible to insure, had no lights, horn, or gears and was started by a pull cord.’
- ‘My host crossed the room and opened the garage door with a pull cord.’
- ‘At all other times the warden would be replaced by a remote agency at the end of an emergency pull cord.’
- ‘They will not inflate the jacket with 002 gas either automatically upon water immersion or manually with the pull cord.’
- ‘Operated by means of a pull cord with spring return, the drilling action was continued between pulls by the energy imparted to the fly wheel.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.