One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having great power or influence.
influential, strong, high-powered, important, controlling, dominant, commanding, potent, forceful, vigorous, dynamic, formidable, redoubtableView synonyms
- ‘By contrast, the last accidental tear-gassing was years ago, so feel free to leave your gas mask at home, unless you are intent on making a particularly puissant political fashion statement.’
- ‘Faith is a puissant concept, yet it is problematic in isolation.’
- ‘Methinks I see in my mind a noble and puissant nation rousing herself like a strong man after sleep, and shaking her invincible locks.’
- ‘So once again they manage to juxtapose the puissant music with the borderline puerile ideas, ensorcelling you before dropping you with an abrupt thud.’
- ‘This depiction of the relationship between reader and book seems all the more puissant in light of discussion about the ‘competition’ between technology and book culture.’
Late Middle English: via Old French from Latin posse ‘be able’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.