One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Exaggerated or false praise.‘his puffery actually was not far from the truth’
publicity, advertising, promotion, marketing, propaganda, push, build-up, boostingView synonyms
- ‘‘This last bit is not just puffery,’ Sulzberger said.’
- ‘There has always been a fine line between legitimate puffery and misleading advertising.’
- ‘Your bit of equivalent puffery was, ‘Nobody does it better’.’
- ‘Overall, though, despite the blizzard of facts and figures, both candidates generally limited themselves to modest exaggerations and standard issue political puffery.’
- ‘Savvy readers soon learn to discount this overt puffery.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.