One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The period of about six weeks after childbirth during which the mother's reproductive organs return to their original nonpregnant condition.
- ‘Pelvic floor exercises may be helpful in the puerperium.’
- ‘They hated also to have the mother out of the home during the puerperium.’
- ‘A significant trend to higher stage of disease was present with diagnosis later in pregnancy and the puerperium.’
- ‘Cognitive therapy and supportive strategies are strongly encouraged to help reduce or replace medication in patients who experience depression during pregnancy and the puerperium.’
- ‘Common predisposing factors that require prophylaxis include surgery, immobilisation, pregnancy and the puerperium, and oral contraception.’
Early 17th century: from Latin, from puerperus ‘parturient’ (from puer ‘child’ + -parus ‘bearing’).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.