One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The funds raised by a government by taxation or other means.
- ‘One of the reasons is that the trip was funded from the public purse and, as taxpayers, people deserve an explanation.’
- ‘Why should what we pay or don't pay to the public purse be confidential?’
- ‘He said that the public purse was not being properly protected.’
- ‘Nepotism was rife, friends and relatives were given jobs or found themselves the recipients of grants funded from the public purse.’
- ‘Demands on the public purse continue to grow and tax revenues are depleted.’
public purse/ˈpəblik pərs/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.