Government benefits provided to the needy, usually in the form of cash or vouchers.
- ‘Thus, public assistance apparently provides the financial, material, and social support that enhances the social control function of the family.’
- ‘While conservatives talk about welfare recipients being a burden on the public, many don't realize how little we spend on public assistance.’
- ‘Many hourly workers were on public assistance because their pay was so low, she recalls.’
- ‘Cooperative Services is a leader in providing public assistance to cooperatives, much of it in an educational vein.’
- ‘This will be welcomed by thousands of citizens, more so those who are eligible for old age pension, disability grants, NIS benefits and public assistance.’