One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A system of microphones, amplifiers, and loudspeakers used to amplify speech or music in a large building or at an outdoor gathering.
pa system, speaker, speaker unit, speaker system, microphoneView synonyms
- ‘For example, if they go to a meeting, they should strongly suggest that the speaker use a public address system.’
- ‘Every year, the youth start off on their bicycles, which are fitted with a public address system, and visit even the remote corners of the State, to spread the message of communal harmony.’
- ‘He came onto the public address system and said he had some good news and some bad news.’
- ‘They will now be supported by the new public address system - with loud speakers placed strategically on cameras throughout the city centre.’
- ‘The periodical announcement over the public address system about the services available brings more people here.’
public address system/ˈsistəm/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.