One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Willing to help the wider community; socially concerned.‘those public-spirited people who call attention to low standards in high places’
community-minded, socially concerned, philanthropic, charitable, helpful to othersView synonyms
- ‘People generally yearn to be friendly, generous, and public-spirited - in short, altruistic.’
- ‘Many people pitied my commonsensical, public-spirited child for being raised by an antisocial naysayer like me.’
- ‘Where are the safeguards for those public-spirited people who call attention to low standards in high places?’
- ‘One just wonders how much further matters would have gone if these public-spirited individuals not been passing by at that time.’
- ‘We are public-spirited, law-abiding citizens who should not have to pay for the hospital's shortcomings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.