Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The period during which adolescents reach sexual maturity and become capable of reproduction.
adolescence, pubescence, sexual maturity, growing upView synonyms
- ‘The onset of puberty appears to be triggered by changes in the blood melatonin level.’
- ‘An increase in physical size is the first sign of puberty in boys.’
- ‘During puberty or nearing menopause, many women have irregular periods so no treatment is necessary.’
- ‘During the years between puberty and the menopause, women's ovaries make a hormone called oestrogen.’
- ‘If you have not shown any signs of puberty by the age of fifteen, it is a good idea to visit your GP for a check-up.’
- ‘Generally, girls reach puberty approximately six months to a year earlier than boys.’
- ‘The possibility that puberty is occurring earlier in Britain than previously has caused great interest.’
- ‘Some children grow slightly more slowly than others and reach puberty later than average.’
- ‘Now the gymnasts for instance have been shown to have delayed menarche and also delayed puberty.’
- ‘Times have changed; many girls are now reaching puberty at Primary School.’
- ‘Islam requires women to cover all parts of their body except their face and hands when they reach puberty.’
- ‘Then, girls reach puberty before boys and so are more mature in their both their approach to learning and ability to learn.’
- ‘Significant differences in the timing of the onset of puberty between populations are well known.’
- ‘The onset of acne is usually around puberty, but in a minority of cases it may also start in adulthood.’
- ‘This is quite common in adolescents and is often first noted at the onset of puberty.’
- ‘Our study indicates that puberty may also be a highly vulnerable period.’
- ‘The magnitude of the difference rises substantially after puberty, but the reason for this change is unclear.’
- ‘Central to this are the sex hormones, which are produced at puberty.’
- ‘In a few cases these feelings continue and so the physical effects of puberty can be very distressing and confusing.’
- ‘As puberty begins, your body begins to produce hormones that cause your eggs to mature.’
Late Middle English: from Latin pubertas, from puber ‘adult’, related to pubes (see pubes).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.