One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The period during which adolescents reach sexual maturity and become capable of reproduction.
adolescence, pubescence, sexual maturity, growing upView synonyms
- ‘As puberty begins, your body begins to produce hormones that cause your eggs to mature.’
- ‘The possibility that puberty is occurring earlier in Britain than previously has caused great interest.’
- ‘During the years between puberty and the menopause, women's ovaries make a hormone called oestrogen.’
- ‘In a few cases these feelings continue and so the physical effects of puberty can be very distressing and confusing.’
- ‘Then, girls reach puberty before boys and so are more mature in their both their approach to learning and ability to learn.’
- ‘This is quite common in adolescents and is often first noted at the onset of puberty.’
- ‘Generally, girls reach puberty approximately six months to a year earlier than boys.’
- ‘Now the gymnasts for instance have been shown to have delayed menarche and also delayed puberty.’
- ‘Significant differences in the timing of the onset of puberty between populations are well known.’
- ‘During puberty or nearing menopause, many women have irregular periods so no treatment is necessary.’
- ‘The onset of puberty appears to be triggered by changes in the blood melatonin level.’
- ‘The onset of acne is usually around puberty, but in a minority of cases it may also start in adulthood.’
- ‘An increase in physical size is the first sign of puberty in boys.’
- ‘Our study indicates that puberty may also be a highly vulnerable period.’
- ‘Times have changed; many girls are now reaching puberty at Primary School.’
- ‘The magnitude of the difference rises substantially after puberty, but the reason for this change is unclear.’
- ‘If you have not shown any signs of puberty by the age of fifteen, it is a good idea to visit your GP for a check-up.’
- ‘Some children grow slightly more slowly than others and reach puberty later than average.’
- ‘Central to this are the sex hormones, which are produced at puberty.’
- ‘Islam requires women to cover all parts of their body except their face and hands when they reach puberty.’
Late Middle English: from Latin pubertas, from puber ‘adult’, related to pubes (see pubes).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.