One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The theory that the earth is the stationary center of the universe, with the planets moving in epicyclic orbits within surrounding concentric spheres.Compare with Copernican system
- ‘These phases revealed that Venus and Earth were sometimes on opposite sides of the Sun, a configuration impossible in the Ptolemaic theory.’
- ‘For many centuries, astronomers embraced the Ptolemaic theory: the Sun revolves around Earth.’
- ‘Suppose I decide that I believe the Ptolemaic system is more plausible than the Copernican system.’
- ‘The Ptolemaic theory of all the planets encircling the earth could now be disproved once and for all.’
- ‘The Ptolemaic system had been denied by many high officials and Jesuit astronomers even before Galileo was born.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.