Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A minute insect of a family ("Psyllidae") that comprises the jumping plant lice.
- ‘Syzygium spp. and some members of the eucalypt family are prone to something called a psyllid, which shows up as a small bubble on the leaves.’
- ‘Pear psylla overwinters in the adult stage as a distinct morphological phenotype, the winterform, which began appearing in pear orchards of the study area in early September.’
- ‘Young seedlings are the most vulnerable to the psyllids ' attack, but the insects can also stunt growth of bigger trees and reduce flowering and seed production.’
- ‘Some 100,000 psyllids have been released at sites around south Florida to help the melaleuca leaf weevil, Oxyops vitiosa, combat the invasive tree, which has been taking over 14 to 15 acres of the Everglades each day.’
- ‘In heather plants (C. vulgaris) grown under enhanced UV-B radiation, populations of the psyllid Strophingia ericae were reduced.’
- ‘The lid, sides, and floor of each container were examined for pear psylla, predatory insects, and spiders.’
- ‘Nymphs, or immature psylla, spend much of their time immersed in a droplet of sticky honeydew and only move out of it to prepare for the adult stage.’
- ‘Heavy infestations of red gum lerp psyllid on red gum eucalyptus trees have become a critical problem for golf course superintendents.’
- ‘The esters are lethal - almost immediately - to nearly all the mites and soft-bodied insects such as whiteflies, aphids, thrips, and pear psylla that they contact.’
- ‘Homoptera were composed primarily of aphids and psyllids, including pear psylla, Cacopsylla pyricola, a pest of pears.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin Psyllidae (plural), from Greek psulla ‘flea’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.