Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
treated as singular The branch of psychology that deals with the relationships between physical stimuli and mental phenomena.
- ‘They used psychophysics to show that capsaicin (found in chillies) could produce practical oral analgesia in cancer patients with oral lesions.’
- ‘Working in psychophysics he became concerned with the biases that occur when subjective assessments are made.’
- ‘I thought of biochemistry in our neighboring sciences and of psychophysics, and more recently of psychopharmacology, as examples of fruitful splitting and recombination in our own science.’
- ‘In psychophysics, 'ions traveling opposite to the plasma current’ are described as ‘counterpassing'.’
- ‘One such model that has had an enormous impact, not only in psychophysics but in many diverse areas of psychology, is Signal Detection Theory.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.