One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A form of psychotherapy in which patients act out events from their past.
- ‘The studied interventions included psychotherapy, psychodrama, cognitive behavior therapy, relaxation therapy, and guided imagery or hypnosis.’
- ‘They will chip away at any self-deception during the gruelling group sessions, which are at the heart of the programme - though psychodrama and art therapy are also used.’
- ‘There is also no acknowledgment of alternative therapies such as Gestalt or psychodrama that are geared to deal with this type of anger.’
- ‘Other forms of treatment were electroconvulsive therapy, discussion of the evils of homosexuality, desensitisation of an assumed phobia of the opposite sex, hypnosis, psychodrama, and abreaction.’
- ‘Trained in psychodrama, the drama teacher's responsibility was to help children act out their emotions.’
2A play, movie, or novel in which psychological elements are the main interest.
- ‘Scalapino here proposes the Noh might function as a psychodrama, which we might add to the other functions the Noh has served.’
- ‘Many of the characters in Allen's film are afraid to step outside into the world, and their humorless, arid lives again seem more suited to an Ibsen psychodrama then Allen's usual cinema territory.’
- ‘Jandek, an ultra-reclusive singer-songwriter specializing in unnervingly bleak psychodramas accompanied by an out-of-tune guitar, has been read as both incompetent and musically avant-garde.’
- ‘Michael Haneke's The Piano Teacher stars Isabelle Huppert in the title role of a sexual psychodrama bearing the Austrian director's standard unsettling thumbprint.’
- ‘Die Schöne Müllerin and Winterreise are extended psychodramas dealing with lost love.’
- 2.1 The genre to which psychodramatic works belong.
- ‘This novel is an unhappy blend of romance, psychodrama and political thriller set in a wild and picturesque setting.’
- ‘‘We've condensed it all in a much more intense journey, a personal experience,’ he says, describing the play as a historical mystery story with elements of the psychodrama told in epic style.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.