Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The human soul, mind, or spirit.‘their childhood made them want to understand the human psyche and to help others’‘how does constant losing affect the psyches of young athletes?’
soul, spirit, self, inner self, innermost self, ego, inner ego, true being, essential nature, life force, vital force, inner man, inner woman, persona, identity, personality, individuality, make-up, subconscious, mind, intellectView synonyms
- ‘Virtually all cult systems develop some view of what happens to the human spirit or psyche after death.’
- ‘According to commentators, through the eating of the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge, the tendency to do evil was internalized within the human psyche.’
- ‘With the mitzvah of counting the 49 days, known as Sefirat Ha'Omer, the Torah invites us on a journey into the human psyche, into the soul.’
- ‘Paul Schrader has made a career out of exploring the darker side of the human psyche, of exposing obsessive characters who seem hell-bent on self-destruction.’
- ‘What did Charles Darwin have to say about crying because he certainly gave some attention to the emotional makeup of the human psyche?’
- ‘One profession deals with the conundrums of the human psyche through talking therapies like psychoanalysis or cognitive behavioural therapy.’
- ‘Music is something that exists in the ether, if you like, yet has this huge impact on the human psyche, heart and soul.’
- ‘Not everyone who endures a traumatic experience is scarred by it; the human psyche has a tremendous capacity for recovery and even growth.’
- ‘Joyce may be difficult, but the diligent reader is rewarded with an astonishingly bold and enlightening glimpse into the inner workings of the human psyche.’
- ‘In fact how we behave at Christmas says all sorts of interesting things about our collective and individual psyches: the need the belong, to be part of the community, the psychology of altruism, the art of lying.’
- ‘The mind, the psyche, the soul, the spirit - call it what you will - also has to be returned to some sort of equilibrium.’
- ‘What is indisputable is that psi phenomena are related to mental events: they implicate the psyche, or the mind of individuals.’
- ‘In a rapidly changing digital world, where many are stretched and stressed, we need to come to terms with the effects of such stress and pressure on the human psyche.’
- ‘The human psyche believes that only pleasurable objects can bring happiness, and thus it attempts to magnetize them and all kinds of Others into its sphere.’
- ‘But the mind, the psyche, the soul struggles to find itself again and to situate itself in a world whose features have been altered by disaster.’
- ‘Hindu society has been the meeting point as well as the melting pot of as many spiritual visions as the human psyche is capable of springing up spontaneously.’
- ‘Just as the oppositional relationship of the self begins with the polar structure of the psyche, so every human being is connected to the archetype of the woman and mother.’
- ‘But as a psychologist what fascinated him was what he saw as the highest achievement of the individuation principle - the human psyche in its fullest possible development.’
- ‘Something in the human psyche wants to enthuse in the company of like-minded people.’
- ‘The result of this imbalance is to frustrate the natural desire of the human psyche, thereby placing the individual in a perpetual state of angst and glowering fury.’
Mid 17th century: via Latin from Greek psukhē ‘breath, life, soul’.
noun, adjective, & verb
- variant spelling of psych
proper nounGreek Mythology
A Hellenistic personification of the soul as female, or sometimes as a butterfly. The allegory of Psyche's love for Cupid is told in "The Golden Ass" by Apuleius.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.