One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.
- ‘This kind of data retrofitting is common among believers in such pseudosciences as astrology, graphology and biorhythms.’
- ‘Shermer asserts that whereas scientists seek to minimize the effects of observation on the observed, pseudosciences do not.’
- ‘Another common theme is the debunking of the fringe pseudosciences or other untenable positions.’
- ‘But I think Popper may have wanted to find out criteria of demarcation between science and such pseudosciences as astrology and Freudian psychoanalysis.’
- ‘Swanson draws upon sources as diverse as Aesop's fables and mathematician/statistician John Allen Paulos for examples, covering everything from failed doomsday predictions to the pseudosciences of graphology and horoscopes.’
- ‘We hope to find ways to focus on some of the wonderful new achievements of science as a counterbalance in our pages to the popularly appealing but content-free and intellectually sterile fringe-sciences and pseudosciences.’
- ‘We see that 'Shroud science' - like 'creation science' and other pseudosciences in the service of dogma - begins with the desired answer and works backward to the evidence.’
- ‘A ‘science’ that consists of nothing but such claims is not a science, but a pseudoscience.’
- ‘The particular belief or the pseudoscience may be different in each country but the need for a skeptical response is vital.’
- ‘Before I was a Scientologist, I never agreed with psychiatry and I know that psychiatry is a pseudoscience.’
- ‘Psychology, the discipline that has probably contributed most to the accurate assessment of ESP claims, is the field that is most closely associated with such pseudosciences in the public mind.’
- ‘Licensure of practitioners of various pseudosciences is often treated as endorsement and as a gateway to greater privileges.’
- ‘However, when you find out that he's calling psychiatry a pseudoscience while simultaneously pushing Scientology, one of the most notorious pseudosciences around, you know something's a little messed up.’
- ‘A pseudoscience is set of ideas based on theories put forth as scientific when they are not scientific.’
- ‘Scientific studies of these pseudosciences demonstrate that they are not valid personality assessment tools, yet each has many satisfied customers who are convinced they are accurate.’
- ‘And some courts have taken judicial notice of the irrationality of certain pseudosciences, including phrenology and astrology.’
- ‘Books about pseudosciences such as astrology sell millions of copies.’
- ‘Intelligent design had been viewed as a pseudoscience because it refused to limit nature to the operation of blind material processes.’
- ‘‘Negative energy ‘is a term commonly used in alternative medicine and related pseudosciences.’’
- ‘For those who wish to combine magnet therapy with cupping and enjoy the benefits of two pseudosciences at once, the Magic Mengshi Cup is recommended.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.