One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A section of a chromosome that is an imperfect copy of a functional gene.
- ‘We use the fact that processed pseudogenes and functional genes are subject to different nucleotide-substitution patterns.’
- ‘Gene conversion from pseudogenes is also thought to be important in polycystic kidney disease.’
- ‘In this process new genes are created by repeated gene duplications, and some genes may later become pseudogenes or even be deleted from the genome.’
- ‘Four alleles were putative pseudogenes and no Pto genes could be isolated from seven individuals of different Lycopersicon species.’
- ‘Finally, it is conceivable that a copy of a multicopy gene family is a pseudogene.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.