Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A drug obtained from plants of the genus "Ephedra" (or prepared synthetically) and used as a nasal decongestant.
- ‘Hence a urine test showed minute traces of the banned stimulant pseudo-ephedrine.’
- ‘A cup of tea made with Ephedra nevadensis, for instance, delivers a dose of ephedrine or pseudoephedrine powerful enough to suppress lactation.’
- ‘A federal bill to restrict sales of cold medicines containing pseudoephedrine cleared the Senate Judiciary Committee this week.’
- ‘Several states have cut meth production by restricting sales of cold medicines containing pseudoephedrine, the main ingredient in meth.’
- ‘Some pharmaceutical companies are modifying their products to eliminate pseudoephedrine.’
- ‘I urge anyone with insomnia to check all medications for pseudoephedrine.’
- ‘Several states, including Montana, have banned unregistered sales of pseudoephedrine.’
- ‘We do not suggest replacing ephedrine with pseudoephedrine, due to its weak effects.’
- ‘The dose of pseudoephedrine will be different for different patients.’
- ‘By acting directly on alpha-adrenergic receptors in the mucosa of the respiratory tract, pseudoephedrine produces vasoconstriction leading to nasal decongestion.’
- ‘The legislation is intended to curb the proliferation of methamphetamine labs, where pseudoephedrine can be extracted from cold medicines to make methamphetamine.’
- ‘People with heart disease or hypertension should watch out for any legitimate drug that contains pseudoephedrine.’
- ‘She said officers had found multiple packs of flu remedies containing pseudoephedrine in raids on drug factories.’
- ‘Now, the government strictly limits even the sale of over-the-counter preparations containing pseudoephedrine.’
- ‘There are regulations going through to restrict the sales of pseudoephedrine.’
- ‘The chemicals are used to convert common cold medicines containing pseudoephedrine into meth.’
- ‘Sudafed contains the nasal decongestant pseudoephedrine, which is structurally similar to ephedrine, yet they do have different properties.’
- ‘Purchases of products containing pseudoephedrine will be limited to two packages.’
- ‘A very significant amount of pseudoephedrine is making its way out of pharmacies into the community.’
- ‘Product identification cards are necessary for medicines containing pseudoephedrine.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.