One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A drug obtained from plants of the genus "Ephedra" (or prepared synthetically) and used as a nasal decongestant.
- ‘Several states have cut meth production by restricting sales of cold medicines containing pseudoephedrine, the main ingredient in meth.’
- ‘The chemicals are used to convert common cold medicines containing pseudoephedrine into meth.’
- ‘A cup of tea made with Ephedra nevadensis, for instance, delivers a dose of ephedrine or pseudoephedrine powerful enough to suppress lactation.’
- ‘The legislation is intended to curb the proliferation of methamphetamine labs, where pseudoephedrine can be extracted from cold medicines to make methamphetamine.’
- ‘There are regulations going through to restrict the sales of pseudoephedrine.’
- ‘Purchases of products containing pseudoephedrine will be limited to two packages.’
- ‘Sudafed contains the nasal decongestant pseudoephedrine, which is structurally similar to ephedrine, yet they do have different properties.’
- ‘The dose of pseudoephedrine will be different for different patients.’
- ‘People with heart disease or hypertension should watch out for any legitimate drug that contains pseudoephedrine.’
- ‘Product identification cards are necessary for medicines containing pseudoephedrine.’
- ‘A very significant amount of pseudoephedrine is making its way out of pharmacies into the community.’
- ‘She said officers had found multiple packs of flu remedies containing pseudoephedrine in raids on drug factories.’
- ‘Hence a urine test showed minute traces of the banned stimulant pseudo-ephedrine.’
- ‘I urge anyone with insomnia to check all medications for pseudoephedrine.’
- ‘Now, the government strictly limits even the sale of over-the-counter preparations containing pseudoephedrine.’
- ‘Some pharmaceutical companies are modifying their products to eliminate pseudoephedrine.’
- ‘We do not suggest replacing ephedrine with pseudoephedrine, due to its weak effects.’
- ‘Several states, including Montana, have banned unregistered sales of pseudoephedrine.’
- ‘A federal bill to restrict sales of cold medicines containing pseudoephedrine cleared the Senate Judiciary Committee this week.’
- ‘By acting directly on alpha-adrenergic receptors in the mucosa of the respiratory tract, pseudoephedrine produces vasoconstriction leading to nasal decongestion.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.