One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An event arranged or brought about merely for the sake of the publicity it generates, especially one designed to appear spontaneous or unplanned.‘pseudo-events look important because the media and the public agree to act as if they are’
- ‘If the convention is a pseudo-event produced for the benefit of the media, then by virtue of getting invited, bloggers have become newsworthy.’
- ‘Ordinary citizens are now being forced to market themselves like pseudo-events, using techniques that used to be reserved for politicians, corporations, and celebrities.’
- ‘With the rise of the primary election system, party conventions are now fully pseudo-events, with merely the vestiges of their proud democratic past.’
- ‘The surrounding campaign certainly enhanced the magazine's considerable prestige. Bellamy, as project manager, orchestrated a variety of pseudo-events, including a Presidential Proclamation and interviews with congressmen.’
- ‘Boorstin's pseudo-events are events created for dramatic effect, to generate attention and revenue.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.