Severe itching of the skin, as a symptom of various ailments.
- ‘Latex allergic reactions range from pruritus to erythematous, weeping lesions.’
- ‘The most common symptom in urticaria pigmentosa is pruritus, which may be treated with [H.sub.1] receptor antagonists.’
- ‘When the lesions are rubbed, they manifest erythema, edema, pruritus, and occasional bullae formation.’
- ‘Liver transplantation may be considered in response to liver failure, or if the patient has uncontrollable pruritus or severe osteoporosis.’
- ‘There is no effective treatment for pityriasis rosea, except that patients who experience severe pruritus may benefit from topical corticosteroids and oral antihistamines.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin, itching (see prurigo).