An Italian soft smoked cheese made from cow's milk and having a mellow flavor.
- ‘The production of ricotta is an economical way of using the whey left over after the production of cheeses such as provolone.’
- ‘Make a mixture of softened cream cheese, mozzarella, provolone, cheddar, minced garlic and bit of fresh basil.’
- ‘A simple Margherita uses cooked pizza sauce with provolone, basil and garlic; it's very good, but I couldn't help thinking it would have been better with the marinated tomato cubes.’
- ‘Sums and foreign languages have never really been Elsie's thing, but even I know that a quattro formaggi pizza should have four cheeses and that mozzarella, cheddar, mascarpone, Parmesan and provolone are all cheeses and add up to five.’
- ‘This means that customers know what they're buying, and come back for more of their gorgonzola, provolone, smoked mozzarella, fat-free roccata, low-fat Parmesan and many others.’
Italian, from provola buffalo-milk cheese.