Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Subject to further confirmation; for the time being.‘the institute has provisionally approved the study’
- ‘And the date of August 30 has been provisionally marked for that event, pending approval.’
- ‘George Drever, of Kirkwall, was provisionally granted an entertainment licence for the proposed ten-pin bowling centre.’
- ‘The licence was provisionally granted on the condition that fire precautions were met and added washbasins installed.’
- ‘At the time of going to press the game has been provisionally fixed for Sunday evening next in Sarsfields at 6 pm.’
- ‘We have provisionally arranged to go for a drink.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.