One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The narrow glandular first region of a bird's stomach between the crop and the gizzard.
- ‘The proventriculus and gizzard are small, and the lower esophagus is sacculated, which delays passage of particles into the lower gut where additional fermentation occurs in the paired ceca.’
- ‘Parents sustain themselves during incubation on energy stored as body fat and lipid-rich stomach oil in the proventriculus.’
- ‘Ingesta from the proventriculus and gizzard were preserved in 75% alcohol and examined under a dissecting scope.’
- ‘Extant archosaurs, crocodilians and birds, employ a two-part stomach with a thin-walled, enzyme-producing anterior, the proventriculus, followed by a thick-walled muscular gizzard.’
- ‘Two breeding female Steller's eiders found dead had midge larvae all more than 20 mm long in their proventriculi, plus a few cranefly larvae and some vegetation.’
- 1.1 The thick-walled muscular expansion of the esophagus above the stomach of crustaceans and insects.
- ‘Four tunnels off the lumen of the proventriculus of the carpenter bee, Xylocopa virginica virginica, have been discovered.’
- ‘The proventriculus of the worker honeybee is an organ which effects a highly efficient separation of pollen grains from the medium in which they are suspended.’
- ‘Enhanced levels of expression are seen in older embryos adjacent to the segmental involutions (C, arrowheads) and in the salivary glands, proventriculus, and somatic musculature.’
Mid 19th century: from pro- ‘before’ + Latin ventriculus ‘small belly’, diminutive of venter, ventr- ‘belly’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.