One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The anterior segment of the thorax of an insect, not bearing any wings.
- ‘The prothorax is small, the legs slender, the first pair elongate.’
- ‘In comparison, Drosophila Polycomb mutant embryos have ectopic denticles on the dorsal head, and the second thoracic segment is anteriorly transformed to prothorax while abdominal segments are posteriorly transformed.’
- ‘Next, the head separates from the prothorax from 30 weeks.’
- ‘Relative to the foundress, soldiers have an enlarged prothorax and fore femora, reduced wings and antennae, and a pale exoskeleton.’
- ‘The head is analogous to a statolith, the movements of which are monitored by fields of hair sensilla located on the head, neck, and prothorax.’
- ‘This expansion of the posterior expression boundaries was examined in detail and correlated with derived morphological structures of the prothorax as compared with the most primitive apterygote species.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.