Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who publicly demonstrates strong objection to something; a demonstrator.‘the decision was hailed by protesters against the closure as a triumph’
demonstrator, protest marcher, human chainobjector, opposer, opponent, complainer, dissenter, dissident, rejectionist, nonconformistView synonyms
- ‘These have recently been installed and protesters claim they have been badly positioned.’
- ‘At one point a nearby neighbour harangued the protesters cursing at them and demanding they move.’
- ‘The country came to the brink of disaster before the protesters backed down.’
- ‘The protesters say the land has been a play area for generations of children and there is nowhere else for them to go.’
- ‘Youngsters in care made a direct plea to protesters opposing a new children's home.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.