The breakdown of proteins or peptides into amino acids by the action of enzymes.
- ‘Constitutive proteolysis, however, is the main source of free amino acids used for de novo protein synthesis.’
- ‘Chapter 5 focuses on the catabolism of proteoglycans, detailing mainly proteolysis and the host of proteases involved.’
- ‘A protein resistant to heat and proteolysis that inhibits serine proteases was isolated from wheat leaf apoplasts.’
- ‘As a cheese ages, fats and proteins break down through proteolysis, into simplified units via bacterial or fungal actions.’
- ‘However, most proteolysis takes place in the duodenum as a consequence of enzyme activities secreted by the pancreas.’
Late 19th century: modern Latin, from protein + -lysis.