One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The theory or practice of shielding a country's domestic industries from foreign competition by taxing imports.
- ‘We don't have to choose between strict protectionism and unregulated free trade.’
- ‘He tried to persuade organized labor that free trade and not protectionism was in its interests.’
- ‘Moreover, the smaller the country, the greater will be the pressure to opt for free trade rather than protectionism.’
- ‘He promoted economic nationalism, protectionism, and further cuts in social spending.’
- ‘They oppose industrial policy, nationalisation and protectionism.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.