One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An enzyme which breaks down proteins and peptides.
- ‘For instance, the set of enzymes known as serine proteases are protein-digesting enzymes in the intestine.’
- ‘All of the serine proteases and the zinc peptidases of pancreatic secretions are produced in the form of their respective proenzymes.’
- ‘Whey contains many types of enzymes, including hydrolases, transferases, lyases, proteases, and lipases.’
- ‘Although starches and fats can be broken down without pancreatic enzymes, pancreatic proteases are crucial for protein digestion.’
- ‘Rennin is an acid protease, meaning it breaks down protein bonds in an acidic environment.’
Early 20th century: from protein + -ase.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.