Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An enzyme that breaks down proteins and peptides.
- ‘Rennin is an acid protease, meaning it breaks down protein bonds in an acidic environment.’
- ‘All of the serine proteases and the zinc peptidases of pancreatic secretions are produced in the form of their respective proenzymes.’
- ‘Although starches and fats can be broken down without pancreatic enzymes, pancreatic proteases are crucial for protein digestion.’
- ‘Whey contains many types of enzymes, including hydrolases, transferases, lyases, proteases, and lipases.’
- ‘For instance, the set of enzymes known as serine proteases are protein-digesting enzymes in the intestine.’
Early 20th century: from protein + -ase.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.