One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The practice or occupation of engaging in sexual activity with someone for payment.
whoring, the sex industry, streetwalking, mrs warren's profession, white slavery, sex tourismView synonyms
- ‘Street prostitution has increased in some areas as more and more younger kids are getting into it.’
- ‘Much discussion of prostitution is conducted on the premise that it is possible to eradicate it.’
- ‘Many women are driven into street prostitution by poverty and drug addiction.’
- ‘Some of its past efforts to clamp down on street prostitution have had bizarre consequences.’
- ‘Locals contend that prostitution and crime are soaring as people find no other way to stay afloat.’
- ‘However, the impact of street prostitution on trade is a key issue which the police are aware of.’
- ‘Just so we're clear about this, the bill decriminalised prostitution.’
- ‘He believes that parliament should license prostitution in a more formal way.’
- ‘The government here should be pressured to decriminalize prostitution.’
- ‘For boys, they mostly end up as criminals while girls indulge in prostitution.’
- ‘Another said prostitution should be legal because people won't always do what they are told.’
- ‘Pressing a person into prostitution or a sexual act will carry a prison sentence of up to three years.’
- ‘He practiced male prostitution, soliciting three to four customers on a weekend.’
- ‘People say that prostitution is the oldest profession and that I am not facing reality.’
- ‘Legalising street prostitution will never happen in this country.’
- ‘We are not on a moral crusade against prostitution, just street prostitution.’
- ‘Their remaining options were sleeping on the streets, prostitution, crime and starvation.’
- ‘Well I don't think that the Health Department supports street prostitution in residential areas at all.’
- ‘The incidence of prostitution and sexual assault of women has soared.’
- ‘Since she is all for legalizing prostitution, I think she sees me as her enemy.’
- 1.1 The unworthy or corrupt use of one's talents for the sake of personal or financial gain.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.