One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A surgical operation to remove all or part of the prostate gland.
- ‘There was no statistically significant relation between volume and outcome in prostatectomies, gastric surgery, cholecystectomy, or stomach operations for cancer.’
- ‘His prostatectomy caused impotence, urinary symptoms, and other problems.’
- ‘Simple prostatectomy was also undertaken at this time.’
- ‘Transurethral prostatectomy is the gold standard surgical treatment, but it should not be performed in patients who want to remain fertile.’
- ‘Surgeons may chose to perform an open prostatectomy if the patient presents with a large prostate.’
- ‘No more breast biopsies, bowel resections, hysterectomies, or radical retropubic prostatectomies due to cancer.’
- ‘But we know it wouldn't be a good thing to diagnose half the population with prostate cancer and do radical prostatectomies on them.’
- ‘The main treatment for early prostate cancer, which is prostate cancer that hasn't spread beyond the gland, is a radical prostatectomy where the entire prostate is removed.’
- ‘A radical cystectomy and prostatectomy with bilateral pelvic lymphadenectomy and appendectomy were performed.’
- ‘Laser prostatectomy for benign disease has been around for several years, but it's still unclear how the various techniques compare with traditional transurethral resection of the prostate.’
- ‘An 86 year old man who had had a transurethral prostatectomy in 1985 was catheterised for acute urinary retention and allowed home with a catheter in situ.’
- ‘Two men were diagnosed with prostate cancer in the interim between the first and second surveys, one of whom chose to have a prostatectomy.’
- ‘The average length of stay for an open prostatectomy was 4.9 days.’
- ‘This procedure has fewer complications and a shorter recovery period than an open prostatectomy.’
- ‘Systems have been cleared for use in general laparoscopic surgery, thoracoscopic surgery, laparoscopic radical prostatectomies, and thoracoscopically assisted cardiotomy procedures.’
- ‘His options included surgery to remove his prostate - a radical prostatectomy.’
- ‘Three years ago, a trial reported that men with early, localised prostate cancer did better after a radical prostatectomy than with ‘watchful waiting.’’
- ‘Many operations like radical prostatectomies or radical mastectomies rob patients of their dignity and their quality of life.’
- ‘Radical prostatectomy is an operation to completely remove the prostate gland, and is aimed at men whose cancer has not spread through the covering of the gland.’
- ‘Reoperation: 4-10% of men will need another operation in the five years following their first prostatectomy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.