A compound of the prostaglandin type that is produced in arterial walls and that functions as an anticoagulant and vasodilator.
- ‘The endothelium produces several regulatory mediators, including nitric oxide and prostacyclin, which are vasodilators, and endothelin, which is a vasoconstrictor.’
- ‘Other common therapies including anticoagulant treatment and prostacyclin have been used.’
- ‘Thromboxane is regulated by prostacyclin released from injured epithelial cells through negative feedback.’
- ‘Prostaglandins, especially prostacyclin, are secreted in all veins and have a distinct antiplatelet-aggregating property.’
- ‘Aspirin also reduces endothelial cell production of prostacyclin, an inhibitor of platelet aggregation and a vasodilator.’
1970s: from prostaglandin + cyclic + -in.