Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Italian ham cured by drying and typically served in very thin slices.
- ‘This time of year, start with ground turkey instead of beef, then add tropical jerk flavors from the Caribbean, and finally, swathe the loaf in thin slices of prosciutto.’
- ‘My ham biscuits feature prosciutto instead of country ham, and are more likely to be served with a sweet and hot mustard sauce on rolls than biscuits.’
- ‘On Saturday evening there was a banquet with antipasti, sausage, pasta, prosciutto, cheese, salad, dessert, and lots of wine.’
- ‘For the fig with smoked prosciutto: In a small dish, place a halved fig with a slice of smoked prosciutto.’
- ‘They can be dressed up by cutting them in half, plopping a dab of goat cheese on top and wrapping that with thinly sliced prosciutto ham.’
- ‘Today, use such cured meats as ham, prosciutto, bacon, and pancetta for the hints of salt, nuts, and spice that curing imparts.’
- ‘I tried Parma ham, figs, prosciutto and pâté in the late Thirties, things the average family wouldn't taste until 30 years later.’
- ‘Lay two slices of the sweetbreads on top and arrange two slices of prosciutto around them.’
- ‘Pounded veal is rolled around mozzarella and prosciutto, an Italian ham, and cooked in Marsala wine with mushrooms and onions.’
- ‘Season the sturgeon fillets, brush with egg whites, and wrap each with two slices of prosciutto.’
- ‘I was delighted to find a wide selection of smoked meats, pâtés, prosciutto, sausages and cheeses.’
- ‘Do you think you can find decent prosciutto, salmon or Dim Sum there?’
- ‘Line a plate with a slice of prosciutto and place the gnocchi on top.’
- ‘In the end I chose Italian prosciutto on a salad of blue cheese, roasted chestnut mushrooms and peppers to start.’
- ‘Then, in a glass bowl, mix the ground pancetta and prosciutto with the ground Italian sausage.’
- ‘So I got the Italian panini with prosciutto, mozzarella and Italian dressing.’
- ‘Wonderfully ripe figs and prosciutto sliced thin as silk stockings dovetail gracefully with the help of a dense balsamic vinaigrette.’
- ‘He says that while there will never be a substitute for really good Italian olive oil, prosciutto and some cheese, he doesn't see why you can't use British products in an Italian way.’
- ‘Place a scallop on top of the ocean gelée, set a slice of prosciutto on top, and spoon some citrus sauce around the dish.’
- ‘Put that pleasant duck prosciutto on an appetizer plate, however, and the leanings of the kitchen become apparent.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.