Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to stimuli that are produced and perceived within an organism, especially those connected with the position and movement of the body.
- ‘So, in this process they become conditioned to the kinesthetic and proprioceptive receptor inputs.’
- ‘It may also be the site of projection of proprioceptive afferents from the respiratory muscles and chest wall.’
- ‘Rather like the judgements of force, the proprioceptive mechanisms that determine the perceived timing of muscle contractions have both a ‘peripheral’ and a ‘central’ component.’
- ‘These exercise drills are designed to maximally challenge the scapulothoracic muscle force couples and to stimulate the proprioceptive and kinesthetic awareness of the scapula.’
- ‘Together with peripheral sensory awareness of body surface and proprioceptive perception of body position and balance, this inner awareness of bodily state is the basis for the human person's sense of self.’
Early 20th century: from Latin proprius ‘own’ + receptive.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.