One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic compound which acts as a beta blocker and is used mainly in the treatment of cardiac arrhythmia.
- ‘Several randomized trials have shown that beta blockers such as propranolol and nadolol can reduce the risk of initial variceal bleeding from about 45 percent to 22 percent.’
- ‘The beta blockers, including propranolol, nadolol, atenolol, metoprolol, and timolol, are effective but may cause fatigue, sleep disorders, and decreased exercise tolerance.’
- ‘Beta blockers like propranolol or metoprolol also affect sleep.’
- ‘Previous studies have shown that if taken before a traumatic event, or within six hours of the event, a drug such as propranolol (a common beta blocker) can significantly reduce recall of that event.’
- ‘Drug interactions have been shown to occur with alprazolam, warfarin, theophylline, propranolol, and tricyclic antidepressants.’
1960s: from pro(pyl) + pr(op)anol, with the reduplication of -ol.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.