One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a way that corresponds in size or amount to something else.‘the risk of harm increases proportionately with the dose’‘a small rise in price will cause a proportionately smaller drop in sales’
- ‘If you haven't worked for the full 44 years, your pension is reduced proportionately.’
- ‘I think it will raise costs for everyone, but the cost for a small firm will be proportionately larger.’
- ‘The stream went from wide and shallow to thin and proportionately deep.’
- ‘He wants the assets to be shared proportionately so that all members of the scheme get the same level of protection.’
- ‘They have to pay proportionately more for the rest of their life.’
- ‘Insurers will reduce their payout proportionately, if you haven't insured your home fully.’
- ‘Maintenance costs increase proportionately until costs exceed residual value.’
- ‘If you need more liquid, just increase the amounts proportionately.’
- ‘As they get bigger, they get proportionately cheaper to manage.’
- ‘Tax rates will be raised but revenues will not rise proportionately or at all.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.