Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The first stage of cell division, before metaphase, during which the chromosomes become visible as paired chromatids and the nuclear envelope disappears. The first prophase of meiosis includes the reduction division.
- ‘These questions asked the reader to describe and draw the cell when it was in the telophase and the late prophase stages of mitosis.’
- ‘During meiotic prophase in females, chromosomes condense and pair to form bivalents.’
- ‘For example, opposite arms may be juxtaposed during prophase of meiosis, providing opportunities for gene-conversion type events.’
- ‘Recombination events are often visible as structures known as chiasmata that physically connect two homologous chromosomes during prophase I.’
- ‘The events in this stage of the cell cycle leading to cell division are prophase, metaphase, anaphase and telophase.’
Late 19th century: from pro- before + phase.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.