Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The first stage of cell division, before metaphase, during which the chromosomes become visible as paired chromatids and the nuclear envelope disappears. The first prophase of meiosis includes the reduction division.
- ‘The events in this stage of the cell cycle leading to cell division are prophase, metaphase, anaphase and telophase.’
- ‘Recombination events are often visible as structures known as chiasmata that physically connect two homologous chromosomes during prophase I.’
- ‘These questions asked the reader to describe and draw the cell when it was in the telophase and the late prophase stages of mitosis.’
- ‘During meiotic prophase in females, chromosomes condense and pair to form bivalents.’
- ‘For example, opposite arms may be juxtaposed during prophase of meiosis, providing opportunities for gene-conversion type events.’
Late 19th century: from pro- before + phase.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.