One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘And as your husband, I will expect respect, decorum, and properness a woman is supposed to display.’
- ‘It's tacky and seedy, but it's got these pretensions to properness - seaside landladies and all that stuff.’
- ‘Over the past month that they had been married, she'd learned the hard way what the rules of properness were, especially for married women.’
- ‘The woman across the table was just as fearful, but kept herself under a mask-a mask of civilization hiding wild eyes, properness hiding tensed muscles, ready to spring.’
- ‘Blanche keeps up the facade of virginity, innocence, and properness.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.