One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The woman across the table was just as fearful, but kept herself under a mask-a mask of civilization hiding wild eyes, properness hiding tensed muscles, ready to spring.’
- ‘It's tacky and seedy, but it's got these pretensions to properness - seaside landladies and all that stuff.’
- ‘And as your husband, I will expect respect, decorum, and properness a woman is supposed to display.’
- ‘Blanche keeps up the facade of virginity, innocence, and properness.’
- ‘Over the past month that they had been married, she'd learned the hard way what the rules of properness were, especially for married women.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.