One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of two isomeric liquid alcohols used as solvents; propyl alcohol.
- ‘The exhaled breath of humans contains a multitude of VOCs, many of which are in ambient air as well as endogenously produced, the most abundant being acetone, methanol, ethanol, propanol, and isoprene.’
- ‘In our previous work, we demonstrated that short-chain alcohols (methanol, ethanol, propanol, and butanol) can significantly decrease the elastic moduli and increase the area per molecule of fluid-phase PCs.’
- ‘Proton-bound dimers were obtained by adding 0.1% trifluoroacetic acid to the gramicidin solution in propanol.’
- ‘The alcohols (eg, ethanol, methanol, propanol, and ethylene glycol) play a small role individually as fixatives but penetrate quickly and denature proteins by coagulation.’
- ‘Varying the environmental hydrophobicity with the solvents methanol, ethanol, propanol and butanol, a very low influence of environmental hydrophobicity on the spectral parameters of 2-5 was revealed.’
Late 19th century: from propane + -ol.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.