One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or characteristic of the demigod Prometheus, especially in being rebelliously creative and innovative.‘the Promethean scientist who unlocked the mysteries of the cosmos’
- ‘No, we should not play God in the Promethean sense.’
- ‘His deeds are motivated entirely by a Promethean desire to enlighten his fellows.’
- ‘We need to temper the Promethean impulse referenced in Shelley's subtitle.’
- ‘The opening ceremony was declared a triumph, ending on the Australian sprinter's unforgettable image as a figure from some Promethean rock painting.’
- ‘The near completion of the human genome project was announced with expressions of Promethean awe.’
- ‘Transformations of former country areas made by the Promethean outbursts of the Industrial Revolution are notorious.’
- ‘The issue of gender is an important aspect of Promethean narrative, which I discuss in the next section.’
- ‘In a way, her acts of Promethean defiance find affinity with her father's actions.’
- ‘Such a development will surely fulfil the age-old Promethean dream of self-creation.’
- ‘Revolutionaries are Promethean criminals, pursuing an almost sinful desire to exercise their untrammelled will.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.