One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘In far less obvious ways in the invocations the muses also function as proleptic mourners, shadows of disabling maternal grief against which the Miltonic speaker positions himself.’
- ‘In formulation, the utterance is predictive or proleptic (he will imminently pour himself a drink, check the contents of the bottle).’
- ‘Premediation, on the other hand, may be understood as proleptic, anticipatory mediation.’
- ‘The anti-Arcadian proleptic elegies of the late 1930s, in other words, and the critique of consolatory language they offer, can be said to have opened up a path toward the welfare state.’
- ‘Anticipation is intuitively, ironically proleptic in that it both foresees things in their absence and, in the very act of apprehension, presents them unwittingly into being.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.