One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A social occasion at which the different courses of a meal are eaten at different people's houses.
- ‘Friday night's meal was a progressive dinner in which the 156 delegates moved from restaurant to restaurant in different groups, each in search of the next course.’
- ‘My parents met a bunch of other couples through a progressive dinner group when they first came to town, and some of those friendships lasted 25 years or more.’
- ‘Stroll Into Spring is a progressive dinner presented by several museums and businesses of the Old Northside neighborhood.’
- ‘It then went on to become a progressive dinner, alternating between the houses of the two families.’
- ‘Folks often improvise a progressive dinner by visiting a few different restaurants for a drink here, a few appetizers there, then maybe wrap up with dessert at a third spot.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.