Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A social occasion at which the different courses of a meal are eaten at different people's houses.
- ‘It then went on to become a progressive dinner, alternating between the houses of the two families.’
- ‘Stroll Into Spring is a progressive dinner presented by several museums and businesses of the Old Northside neighborhood.’
- ‘Friday night's meal was a progressive dinner in which the 156 delegates moved from restaurant to restaurant in different groups, each in search of the next course.’
- ‘My parents met a bunch of other couples through a progressive dinner group when they first came to town, and some of those friendships lasted 25 years or more.’
- ‘Folks often improvise a progressive dinner by visiting a few different restaurants for a drink here, a few appetizers there, then maybe wrap up with dessert at a third spot.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.