One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person who writes computer programs.
- ‘Each programmer is allowed no more than seven days to work on a project.’
- ‘Today's programmers are still writing code the same way their predecessors did, using the same languages.’
- ‘Denmark apparently lacks skilled game programmers and Danish games companies are having difficulty finding staff.’
- ‘Many of the most skilled programmers resented what was happening to their trade.’
- ‘Experienced Java programmers and project leaders will benefit from this book by comparing notes out of experience.’
- ‘So what about Linux, the effort of thousands of programmers around the world?’
- ‘To start with, many programmers don't understand database design or query efficiency.’
- ‘Academia has managed to secure significantly more funding than open source programmers.’
- ‘Throughout my 20s I was a computer programmer writing software for IBM mainframes.’
- ‘Experienced Java programmers are likely to be more at home with this latest revision.’
- ‘Two of the programmers were eventually hired on as full-time employees at regular salaries.’
- ‘If they could, they'd fire me tomorrow and hire another programmer.’
- ‘A good understanding of signals is important for an application programmer working in the Linux environment.’
- ‘The code is relatively simple yet will look odd to even the most experienced Perl programmers.’
- ‘All the really good game programmers work for themselves anyway.’
- ‘The Java language provides some classes and it likewise allows individual programmers to construct their own.’
- ‘Bob is a software computer programmer and Mary previously worked as an executive secretary.’
- ‘Freelance programmers don't take vacations like this.’
- ‘Open source programmers realize this and are beginning to cater toward simplicity.’
- ‘Likewise, only a fraction of all the programmers around the world speak English.’
- 1.1 A device that automatically controls the operation of something in accordance with a prescribed program.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.