One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A natural or synthetic steroid hormone, such as progesterone, that maintains pregnancy and prevents further ovulation during pregnancy.
- ‘It is well known that gonadal steroids such as progestins, androgens and estrogens are produced by the ovary under the influence of gonadotropins.’
- ‘He had developed a pill, containing synthetically produced versions of the hormones oestrogen and progestin, which would suppress ovulation apparently without side-effects.’
- ‘Reported androgenic effects of synthetic progestins include fluid retention, reduction of HDL cholesterol levels, headaches and mood disturbance.’
- ‘HRT is made up of two types of hormones, oestrogens and progestins, or synthetic progesterone.’
- ‘Women in both groups will also wear a patch that delivers estrogen and take tablets containing the hormone progestin.’
1930s: from pro- + gestation + -in.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.