One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of a business or activity) yielding profit or financial gain.
moneymaking, profit-making, commercial, successful, commercially successful, money-spinning, sound, solvent, in the black, cost-effective, fruitful, gainful, remunerative, financially rewarding, paying, lucrative, bankableView synonyms
- ‘It has approached the game as a conduit for ideas, not merely the basis of a profitable industry.’
- ‘Who is there to run this vastly profitable business that has had every rule rewritten to serve its interests?’
- ‘He added that the government had already allowed private firms to cherry-pick profitable work.’
- ‘Merchants and financiers soon realized that investing in science could be a profitable business.’
- ‘Farming is still profitable in spite of a sharp increase in the prices of agricultural inputs.’
- ‘Intel has been doing this kind of thing for years, and in the past has built quite a profitable business out of it.’
- ‘There is always pressure to obtain business, but sales have to be profitable to achieve business success.’
- ‘It is important, if it is to persist, that blogging should be a moderately profitable activity.’
- ‘This has become a profitable business for a few, and an effortless one for that.’
- ‘Another fact is that currency exchange is a profitable business because there is demand.’
- ‘None of these books or reports suggest to me that publishing is a highly profitable business.’
- ‘Handsome buildings, profitable businesses and community focal points are being lost.’
- ‘This is so they can continually reinvest money into more profitable projects.’
- ‘Jobs, business, investment, services and tourism all follow from profitable farming.’
- ‘We follow him as he tries to turn this dream into reality, and turn the farm into a profitable business.’
- ‘The enormous rise in premiums has made an unprofitable business profitable again.’
- ‘It was a familiar setting and they were both looking forward to renewing a profitable business partnership.’
- ‘It's just not enough to ensure that a business is as profitable as possible for its shareholders.’
- ‘They expect to run the museum as a profitable business, at least in the summer.’
- ‘The city's latest ranking as the top dog number one place in Britain to do profitable business testifies to that.’
2Beneficial; useful.‘he'd had a profitable day’
beneficial, useful, advantageous, helpful, of use, of service, valuable, productive, worthwhileView synonyms
- ‘Cultural solutions are more valuable and profitable than technological solutions.’
- ‘This paper prompted useful discussion, though the main discussion session was less profitable.’
- ‘Noor said that she was merely taking advantage of a potentially profitable situation.’
Middle English: from Old French, from the verb profiter (see profit).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.