One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The amount by which revenue from sales exceeds costs in a business.
- ‘The recycling business has a wider profit margin than the leasing side, Lane said.’
- ‘At this stage, you should primarily concentrate on stock, which offers a high profit margin.’
- ‘My banker asked me what my profit margin was and I was embarrassed to tell him that I have no idea.’
- ‘Sales of gifts and entertainment services generally have a higher profit margin than sales of airline tickets.’
- ‘Subtract an acceptable profit margin, and you're left with the target cost of the product.’
- ‘Go to the income statement again to find the gross profit margin, which is revenue less cost of revenue.’
- ‘Add to this a low profit margin and you could easily assume that the manufacturer is selling at a loss just to have the business.’
- ‘The only way, therefore, a farmer can maintain their profit margin is by cutting costs.’
- ‘That's because falling unit costs increase the profit margin on each good or service sold.’
- ‘Dealers make a profit margin of about 10 per cent when organising the finance for a new car.’
- ‘Its gross profit margin also improved, rising to 52.1 per cent from 50 per cent.’
- ‘Managers need current data to be able to see things like the profit margin on sales and how fast items are selling, he says.’
- ‘Instead they hope you will sit passively as they progressively whittle your deposit rate down and their profit margin up.’
- ‘You have to have access to some product that you can sell at a healthy profit margin.’
- ‘An example of this is where there is a drop in the gross profit margin which could be due to increased competition.’
- ‘What's more, you can set your own profit margin on each sale and at the end of the month, they just send you a cheque for the amount you've earned.’
- ‘In doing so it will wipe out its profit margin on that business.’
- ‘Film exhibition is a hard business with a nasty profit margin, and the studios hold most of the cards.’
- ‘Blindly and prematurely renting links does nothing but squeeze the profit margin out of your business.’
- ‘The digit wheel in Gary's mind is spinning, adding more and more zeroes to his mental profit margin.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.