The sale of securities that have risen in price.
- ‘With the Dow Jones and the Nasdaq both enjoying healthy gains, even the troubled internet sector saw some profit-taking as technology stocks rose throughout Friday.’
- ‘Analysts said stop-loss selling that had aggravated the recent sell-off in blue-chip stocks was continuing, while profit-taking put a brake on recent gainers such as Sharp Corp.’
- ‘The transport sector was down 2.97 percent after profit-taking among shipping stocks triggered by reports that bulk shipping rates are likely to weaken due to oversupply next year.’
- ‘In addition, profit-taking continued to affect prices following previous gains, and technical factors were seen casting a shadow over the next trend.’
- ‘‘A mix of profit-taking, seasonal timing and the proposed legislation to combat stamp duty saving schemes coming into force on July 23 is likely to have contributed to more deals,’ the report states.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.