Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The recording and analysis of a person's psychological and behavioral characteristics, so as to assess or predict their capabilities in a certain sphere or to assist in identifying a particular subgroup of people.
- ‘It is important that research continues in order to establish how far profiling could be clinically useful, and it is critical that developments are kept under review.’
- ‘Now, I have spoken to FBI profilers and it is a fascinating subject, but psychological profiling has a relatively limited application.’
- ‘This is the second myth of ID checks: that identification combined with profiling can be an indicator of intention.’
- ‘This company specializes in psychological profiling.’
- ‘The Israelis also use ethnic and behavioral profiling to spot everything from mules - unwitting accomplices who carry lethal devices - to suicide bombers.’
- ‘In their search for the sniper, police are relying on psychological profiling to better understand and predict what's going through the sniper's mind.’
- ‘There's no psychological profiling or involuntary behavioural modification going on here, just a cassette playing a muffled selection of old dance anthems, the hits of Ibiza '97.’
- ‘The goal of investigative psychology's form of profiling, like all profiling, is to infer characteristics of a criminal based on his or her behavior during the crime.’
- ‘Despite those late hitches, David Stuttard's new adaptation of Antigone, with its value-added psychological profiling, still emerged triumphant.’
- ‘That's been the biggest nut to crack with selling psychological profiling.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.