One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A biologically inactive substance which is metabolized into an enzyme.
- ‘These death proteases are part of a proteolytic cascade activating proenzymes into active proteases.’
- ‘Protein digestion begins in the stomach, where a proenzyme called pepsinogen is secreted, autocatalytically converted to Pepsin A, and used for the first step of proteolysis.’
- ‘In the case of the serine proteases, they are synthesized as proenzymes, larger molecules that require modification before they become active.’
- ‘All caspases, which are initially inactive proenzymes, share the same processing scheme to achieve mature forms after cleavage at specific Asp sites.’
- ‘Covalent modification of pre-existing pools of inactive proenzymes produces active enzymes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.